The 41st National Hockey League All-Star Game was held at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh on January 21, 1990 and hometown hero Mario Lemieux led the the Wales Conference over the Campbell Conference, 127, en route to his third MVP performance.
Lemieux started the scoring :31 seconds into the game and netted four goals and to establish an NHL record by being the first All Star player to score a hat trick in one period.
Pittsburgh added much more to previous games, creating the first "true" All-Star weekend. The Heroes of Hockey game, a two-period oldtimers' game between past NHL greats and All-Star Skills Competition.
Lemieux completes his first period hat trick during the 41st NHL All-Star game at the Civic Arena.
Players in BOLD were selected as Starters, players in RED missed game due to injury.
I wanted to certainly do well for the people of Pittsburgh. I think they deserve a lot.
After being named the MVP of the 1990 NHL All-Star game, held at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh.
January 21, 1990
Mario Lemieux is the only player to score two hat tricks in All-Star action.
• Starting in Pittsburgh in 1990 the NHL expanded the NHL All Star Game to include a skills competition.
• February 9, 1988 - The 39th NHL All-Star classic in St. Louis saw Pittsburgh Penguins' center Mario Lemieux set an All-Star record for most points with six (3-3-6).
• Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky share the record for most All-Star game goals: 13.
They also share the record for most goals in a game: 4
• On Februrary 9,1982, Michel Dion became the first Penguins goalie to play in an All-Star game. Marc-Andre Fleury was selected to the 2011 All-Star game.
• January 21, 1975, Syl Apps scored twice ti win MVP honors at the game in Montreal.
• Dean Prentice scored the first goal as a Penguins player in an All-Star game on January 20, 1970.
The only man inducted into the College Football and Hockey Hall of Fames played his last competive hockey game, an all-star game at the Winter Garden in the Steel City on March 24, 1917.